Golden Harvest Food Bank Gets Ready to Scare Away Hunger
Friday, September 30th, 2022
Local businesses, neighborhoods, schools, and community members will join forces with Golden Harvest Food Bank to scare away hunger during its30th annual It’s Spooky to Be Hungry food and funds drive. The month-long event kicks off on Saturday, October 1st. This year the food bank has a goal of $250,000, equaling 750,000 meals.
It’s Spooky to Be Hungry began in 1992 under the direction of former CSRA resident Evelyn Browne who began the food drive as a way to fight hunger locally. Over the years the campaign has evolved into a virtual drive that includes hundreds of local businesses, schools, community groups, and churches.
“There’s nothing scarier than the reality of not having enough to eat. During the month of October, we are excited to work together with our community to put food on the table for families experiencing food insecurity. Our virtual fundraising platform empowers you to leverage our buying power so that every $1 raised places 3 nutritious meals on the tables of neighbors in need,” said President & CEO Amy Breitmann.
• Local residents can get involved in Spooky by starting their own virtual drive. Visit itsspookytobehungry.org
• Community members can also donate to the Spooky campaign. Visit itsspookytobehungry.org
• CSRA residents can volunteer to help distribute door hangers this month. Visit itsspookytobehungry.org
• Local businesses are competing to collect monetary donations Oct. 1-31. To join the It’s Spooky To Be Hungry® competition, visit https://
• Select schools across the CSRA also will collect food items throughout October.
IMPORTANT SPOOKY DATES TO REMEMBER
• October 8 – Canvassing Day
• October 22 – Food Drop Off Day
• October 31 (Halloween Night) at 11:59pm – Deadline for Virtual Donations
• November 10 – Spooky Celebration and Awards